Forum

Notifications
Clear all

1916 Indian Red - Archive

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I am in the process of restoring a 1916 Indian and need the paint code for the right shade of red used back then. I have noticed many different reds used on bikes at shows from a bright lipstick red to almost maroon. I really want to get it right the first time, do-overs are no fun

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

You have hit on a question that has been asked my thousands and no one has really come up with an answer.  Your best bet is to find someone with a nice original bike or a nice restored bike with the color you like and go for it.  Indian red has been discussed and argued for years so don't expect any fast answers.  Goodluck!

TR

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hello, I just saw in an other forum that the DuPont centari 143AH would be a good number for this old indian red. I made some research about this number on GOOGLE and found also Dulux 93-143H.  This is probably not the correct and exact match...but as 20scout said, check this red and if you like it, use it... Let's continue the research.........Alain

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I'm just back from my nearest NAPA auto parts store who is also a DuPont dealer. According to him...143A is a correct number for a kind of maroon-red. I saw a small sample on his computer and this color is very close to the old paint I have on an original fender (1923 chief)....Interesting....We tried the other numbers previously mentionned in my other reply and found nothing.

ReplyQuote

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

The answer is Damask Red.

It is a direct color match for my 1926 Chief.  It was also used on vehicles made by the Leland Car company. 

Also, Bob Stark told me that was the color.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Through NAPA store, code reads:

56-20981 00(C) Code 99

This is for a Base coat / Clear coat system.

This paint was also used on 1958 to 1977 Austin's.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

would one of these paints be ok on my 41 cheif ?    thanks tom

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

nbsp;Hello Tom, yes I think that these "indian red" would be OK. The "indian red" was in their catalogue until they closed the Factory in 1953. Maybe they are not a PERFECT match....but very OK . Get a sample from a supplier and if you like it then use it.

ReplyQuote

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

The Indian red in the later years was a slight variation of the early color.  It is noticeable to both the experienced novice as well as the experts.  I suppose its just a choice of preference.

ReplyQuote
Share: