Forum

Notifications
Clear all

1949 Vertical Identification - Archive

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hello all. I have recently become an IMCA member and I just purchased my first Indian. I'm a newbie to the Indian and motorcycle world and I live in a small town in Wyoming where I'm having a hard time finding someone to help answer my questions.
First off, on the title to the Indian that I bought it says it's a 1949, I match the frame and engine numbers to a 49 Scout as well. However, there's a Warrior sticker on the gas tank. I've included a picture of the bike. So is it a scout with the wrong sticker on it? Is there a way to tell the difference between a scout and warrior? I'm kind of curious to the exact model I have.
Secondly, some basic newbie questions that I hope you all can help me with. What kind of oil should I use in the primary drivecase? Also, what kind of oil do I use in the transmission?
Any help that you all could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

No one has really answered back on it.  I'm thinking Gary Stark should know.  They have the later models in their collection, I think.  Just to make sure you get the right oil in there. 160 Thanks Iron Redskin, That helps a bunch.
Still trying to figure out what I have though. Can anyone help me out with what model Indian I have?

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I double checked with Gary here and he told me that it is a 1949 Scout NOT a 1949 Warrior.

Gary stated that they did not make a Warrior in 1949. He believes that whoever owned it before you probably just put the decal on there because they liked it.

Plus the oil you would want to use 50 weight racing oil which is what we use on the bikes here.

I hope the info above helps you out, if you ever have any questions and need them answered qucikly please feel free to email us at either sabrina@starklite.com or gary@starklite.com  directly. I have to say though if you email me I can get a faster response.

ReplyQuote
Share: