Forum

Notifications
Clear all

101 Scout Questions - Archive

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hello, I don't know what these old Indians sell for these days.  I have an opportunity to buy this 1928 bike (see photo).  Can some of you tell me what a bike in this condition would normally sell for?  The engine does run.  Thank you for your help and expertise.   Rod

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hello, this is a scout model but is it really a 1928? Check carefully the serial number. I think you will have to straighten the fork, it is bent rearward and the fender is near to hit the frame. Check with peoples who restored these scouts. They will inform you about the missing parts and incorrect ones.  The asking price should reflect the real condition of the bike. Sorry if I haven't answered your question about the value......... Good luck with your project.........Alain

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks for the good advice Atetu.  Can anyone throw me a dollar figure on what this bike is probably worth (assuming it is a 1928 model)?  $1,000?  $3,000?  $5,000?  $10,000?  I'd like to get a good deal on this thing, but don't really know what a "good deal" is.  Help.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Rod,

Can you tell me if it is a 37 ci or 45 ci enging?  How many parts are not correct for this bike or does this matter to you?  How solid is the gas tank (rusty inside or clean).......ect?  Have you seen it run?  If so, how sound is the engine?  And how is the tranny?  You have too many unanswered questions Rod and you need to do some reserch.  Unless it is really cheap, you could spend a ton or more on finding the remaining parts to make it road worthy.  I suggest to make a list of the obvious parts you will need, then find out what parts are wrong and what they will cost you to replace.  What will it cost you to repair the forks and other unforseen items?  What about paint and plating?  Basicly, how much are you willing to pay for the bike, what is it going to cost to finish it and how much are you going to have into it when you are finished.  Is this price anywhere close to what a simular bike has sold for recently??  Better start doing your homework like the rest of us!

Goodluck,

TR 

ReplyQuote

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

This bike is up for auction 1,000 miles away (in another country), so it's kinda hard to get too many details.  Someone has bid around $3,000, which still doesn't meet the seller's reserve price.  I would only be interested in this thing if I knew I was getting a VERY good deal.  From reading the comments on this post... I'm guessing it doesn't fall in the "very good deal" category.    

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  
here is my take on this. This motorcycle is a collectors item. So it can depend on many things. one being how much are you willing to pay for something. What do you intend to do with it. keep it for show, ride it, sell it as an investment. etc. etc.   

the other thing is how much they expect to make selling it. If it's an auction you could be up against some heavy bidders who for the sake of owning it might be willing to pay more than it's really worth, just to possess it. If it were in excellent condition it could be worth as much as 38,000 grand. poor condition 3 grand or less. Or whatever there will to take for it.

check ebay for antique indian motorcycles you might see one for sale.
below is a link to used motorcycle prices by definition all states of conditions.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/ValueYear.a sp?UserID=061FA2 EC65E&DID=37382&Sec=Manuf& Type=MC&GCode=AM&a mp;wSec=3&wPg=1008&Letter=I

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

WOW... That's a great online& nbsp;resource.  Thanks for the link and all the good advice from everyone.

ReplyQuote
Share: