Forum

Notifications
Clear all

1948 Chief Oil Question

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hello, Just wondering if there is anything I should do, or watchout for when starting a freshly rebuilt 48 chief engine, what weight oil ? how long should I let it run on the initial start up ? How soon after initial start up should the oil be changed? etc., Thanks for your help, Bob Smock

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  
depending on wether you primed the oil pump or not. i would pour about 4 ounces of 50 weight oil in the inspection hole on the engine case. replace the inspection plug, i would remove the oil cap and using a oil squirt can fill the return tube with oil. keep the can handy. i would remove the plugs squirt a very little bit of oil in each piston and kick the engine over with the key off no gas, what your doing here is drawing oil to the pump. having done all that replace the spark plugs.  

now its time to prime the engine with gas--- key off. choke on kick the bike once and lift the choke lever. kick the engine over again. now turn the key on kick the engine vigorously and if everything electrical is done right the engine should spurt to life.  

At this point you should let the bike idle do not rev the engine and check to see if the oil is returning to the oil tank. If the oil is returning you can turn your attention to adjusting the carbs idle. Most of this information is in the rebuild manual. If the oil is not returning to the tank squirt some more oil down into the return tube. Sometimes this works on the first try sometimes it doesn't. If after about a minute or so passes and oil is not returning shut the engine down. However the oil should be returning to the tank since you poured oil into the bottom end filled the return tube and primed the engine. Good luck let us know how it went. 

the whole time your in the engine start up mode you should be checking the oil return.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Duckman, thanks for the help, I am going to try to fire it up this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes, Bob Smock

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Bob did you start the engine.

ReplyQuote

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Duckman, I did not start it yet, been extremely
busy with work,hope to fire it up soon, thanks
for your interest,I'll let you know when I do,
Thanks again, Bob Smock

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Duckman, I started the engine today, everything
went fine,had a problem getting the carb
adjusted correctly,but finally prevailed, I have
another question ,if you don't mind,should the
throttle have a return spring @ the carburetor or
am I missing something on the grip end for a
more positive return? Everything seems very
stiff and I have to twist the throttle back to the
idle position,is this operating correctly, Thanks
for your help , Bob Smock

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  
The twist grips on the carb side shouldn't be so stiff as to have to use force to turn the throttle in or out. Sometimes this stiffness is caused because the T slot part in the grip is to tight. (not actually a tee slot)  

Sometimes people have to take a file to the sleeve and just remove a small amount of material, in between the slots (The long barrel shaped thing at the grip with the slots.) where your cable connects.

typically there is no return spring i have seen people use them but it's not a factory item. because the Indian throttle cable is a stiff wire and not a flexible cable.

Glad to here your engine has purred to life. is the oil returning. Every time you start the engine it's a good idea to check it. 

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Duckman,the oil is pumping great, i thought that
the throttle may just need a little filing,do you
think some white lithium in the T slide
may help ?Thanks for your help and advice ,Bob
Smock

ReplyQuote

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

i usually lube the whole length of the wires and a little bit on the sleeves moving parts.

I don't like wd40 or any spray lube for this as it attracts dirt.

many people will probably pound me for saying that but it's just riders choice which lube to use on the wire cable and moving parts.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree with Duckman about the lube. I also shy away from WD40 as it tends to "wash away" some of the better lubes.  I have a 1947 Chief and there is no return spring on the throttle, but it is easy to move it back and forth. I like the fact that it will stay in the position that you set it, kind of a 1940's version of cruise control that helps on long trips.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help,I have not had a chance to ride it yet, I still need to put the chain on and a couple of other small details, I put a new King Clutch in, is there anything I need to worry about for that first ride? Thanks again  Bob Smock

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I put a King Clutch in my 47 after riding for a year, and I love it. 

I had a bad experienjce my first ride because I did not put the kickstand all the way up. When I went to turn to the left onto a highway it locked into the down position and I ended up in the ditch on the side of the road. So be careful about that.  I was fortunate that the ditch was not too bad and I layed the bike over onto it's side in a freshly plowed field, embarassed, but not hurt.

If you have the throttle on the left and shift on the right, sit there for a while and get used to it.

Also remember to shift into neutral as you come to a stop and put your feet down. If you start to lean to the left and take your foot off the clutch it is good to know the bike will not take off from underneath you. I set the tension on the clutch pedal pretty tight until I had ridden for a while so it would not slip and engage if my foot lifted off. 

Those are my experiences, and all were worth the joy Iget in riding whenever I can.
Dave

ReplyQuote

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  
Sit on the bike and practice going thru the motions shifting into every gear. get yourself prepared for the ride of a lifetime. the first ride on a chief has got to be one of the best feelings in the world. and you will remember it for the rest of your life. As always be safe. if you live in a congested part of town and don't have any open space to ride. Road is full of cars consider going to the nearest lot with ample space.

You don't want to hit the street if your not familiar with the shifting, breaking, and gassing the bike as you must keep your eyes on the road. it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

Riding a chief is much like driving a car with a clutch. you must work the clutch and gas evenly. just as you would in a car. That's why i recommend a big lot on a large fairly empty lot you can stop and go practice turning, get up to speed to practice shifting and just about every conceivable thing one might do on a bike without to many obstacles in the way.

Good luck have fun and ride safe.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I want to thank you guys for all the great advice, I can't wait to get it on the street, I've been working on it for quite a while,in between other things. I'll probably have a few more questions . Thanks again  Bob Smock

ReplyQuote
Share: