Forum

Notifications
Clear all

1949 Indian Arrow Manuals - Archive

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I just purchased a '49 Indian Arrow. I need an operating manual.
Where can I purchase a copy or a photocopy.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

They can be ordered online or giving us a call at 951-968-3070

manual

Enjoy your new bike!

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

have the parts catalogue that was in your posting. I need the
operating manual. Such as, oil levels, brake adjustments, starting
procedures, etc.
I you have one on those I'll purchase it.
thanks for your response.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I've owned an Arrow for many years. The oil level in the tank is... fill until your index finger, stuck as far as you can stick in tinto the tank fill hole, just touches the oil. Don't laugh! That was what Don Parkhurst, the last Indian parts dealer and repair shop here in RI told me back in '72 when I bought her. I've always followed that advice and it has proven correct.

Brake adjustment is by feel. It is easy to show but hard to describe. Basically, adjust so that the wheel turns freely with no drag, and the brake grabs well. At that point, with the front cable, the adjuster should be about the middle of its travel. If not, adjust the cable stop.

Starting proceedure depends on the carb. On my Arrow it is, when cold, push the "tickler" button on the top of the carb until ya flood the carb a bit. give 2 priming kicks, turn on the ignition, and give it a hard, fast kick to start. Usually starts on the 1st or 2nd live kick every time. If the engine is already warm, skip the tickler.

These are pretty simple, basic bikes. Play around until ya get the hang of it. I've never had an "instruction manual" for mine. Most important are the parts book and the repair manual. They can be found from Stark and from e-bay. The repair manual is very thorough and helpful.

Good luck, Mike

ReplyQuote

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Is there a shop manual, one used by Indian mechanics, available for model 249 vertical scouts?  The repair and overhaul manual is a good resource but I need more information.  Thanks.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi 249 Scout,

The Repair And Overhaul Manual is what Indian mechanics used. If you read it carefully, and follow the diagrams, it covers everything you need. I understand that it does presuppose that its reader has a pretty good knowledge of mechanics to begin with. That is something one just has to aquire for ones self. I have never needed anything beyond that book, and I have done a complete teardown and rebuild of the bike. If you have friends who are used to motorcycle mechanics, have them help you when you run into any problems. The Arrow and Scout verticle Indians are pretty basic machines, and are very easy to work on. If you have specific questions as you proceed with your work on the bike, ask them here, and folks will try to help you with answers.

There are some special tools you will have to make that Indian mechanics used. I was fortunate enough to get them along with my bike. The most important is the clutch hub puller. It is a 1/4 thick steel plate with holes drilled in it in the pattern of the clutch stud screws, and a large screw through the center. You crank back the center screw all the way, then use the clutch spring screws through the holes to mount it. Then you tighten the center screw well, and tap it with a hammer. this frees the basket from the transmission shaft. Another tool is the wrench used to remove the torque leveller nut. It is a square steel bar with two pins spaced at the distance of the two holes in the nut. You insert the pins in the holes and use the bar to remove the nut. Those are the most important special tools. A good machine shop should be able to make you something that will function just as well as the originals. To keep the whole primary from turning while you are trying to remove things, make a wooden wedge, and use it to jam the primary chain. Also, BE CAREFUL TO OBSERVE THE REVERSE THREAD NUTS on the primary side!!! They are noted in the manual. I hope these tips help.

Again, best of luck, Mike

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Mike,

GL Yarocki included a piece of literature in his general catalog that is titled "Indian Workshop Manual."   It is a 10 page write up on the AMAL Monobloc Carburetor with detailed diagrams and is marked as Section G.  I was wondering what was written in the other sections of the Indian Workshop Manual and if it was another resource used by the Indian mechanics.

What I'm particularly stumped on at this point is how the right twist grip works.  My handlebars was missing the orginal set up.  I've gotten an inner sleeve and collar from Otis-Rittman but there isn't a visual in the Repair and OverHaul manual that shows me how turning the twist grip pulls the throttle cable so I can figure out what other parts I'm missing. 

Thanks for all of your information.  I'm sure it will help me.  Do you have any advice on making a tool to screw off the chrome ring on top the speedometer and one to unscrew the ball bearing retainers on the hub and bearing assemblies?

Again, thanks.

Ron

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Ron,

I am not familiar with the Amal carb since my Arrow uses the original L&L which is described in the Repair and Overhaul manual. I know the Amal carb was used on Brit bikes. I'm sure you can find literature on how to overhaul it on the web.

When it comes to speedometers, I don't mess with them. I leave that to professionals. I do know that Stark carries a perfect repro of the speedo used on the verticles, so your best bet might be to order a new one from them. Back when I bought my Arrow these were not available, but my friend Don Parkhurst turned me on to a little trick. The old style Sportster speedo (old back in '72) fits the speedo mount of the verticles, and functions perfectly. Even the old style Sportster speedo cable fits the Indian drive! I've been using a Harley Sportster speedo all these years.

As for a tool to remove the bearing retainers, one can make a similar tool to the one used for the torque leveler nut. First you will need to use pin gagues and determine the size pins you will need, and also their exact spacing. Then drill 2 holes in a piece of 1/2" square steel stock at that exact spacing. Mount 2 pins in the holes extending long enough so that they can engage the holes in the retainer. Weld the pins into the square stock, and, voila, you have the tool you need. You can make a tool for the clutch hub nut the same way.

I hope this helps you,

Mike

ReplyQuote

mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hello Mike,

I'm not sure which carburator is on my 249, L&L or Amal.  It doesn't have a bowl on the side of it, and something looks missing at the bottom.  The engine number is BDL3187.  Which carburator is best?

Interesting on the Harley speedometer.  Are there other parts on different motorcylces that will work on my 249?

Good information on the tools.  I'll try making them.  Thanks for your help.

Ron

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

your BDI serial means it is a 49 scout. The L&L is correct for that year,the amal was fazed in on 50 warriors. Both have a side float chamber with a spigot fit slipping over the intake manifold throat.the L&L is a little smaller looking,and the amal would have a choke cable running to a lever on the handle bars.If what you have works and you don't care to show the bike,run the sucker.

ReplyQuote
mrindian
(@mrindian)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

85% 149 arrow, 249 scout 250 warrior parts are the same,the speedo is also on 48 chiefs.

ReplyQuote
Share: