Forum

help in locating 19...

Notifications
Clear all

help in locating 1926

Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Hope someone can offer some information on how to go about locating a 1926 Indian for which I have a title - but no bike. Bike was once in the Easton, Pennsylvania area. Is there a database which can search the VIN?  

Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Hi,

Finding a particular Indian is not going to be easy.  Especially one that is almost 90 years old.  I know of three 1926 Indians.  Two Chiefs: AH443 and AH2359, and one Scout: AG6065.  There also was a 1926 Prince which had a serial number starting with 'AL'.  When these old bikes are advertised, the sellers often don't reveal the bike's serial number so that pretty much means that you have to contact the owner of every 1926 Indian you come across and try to track down the bike's serial number.  Another approach is to start a search on every Indian forum that is out there, including the AMCA.  For that approach to work, you may have to reveal the serial number that is on your paperwork.  For the 1926 Indians, 90% of them may already be gone forever.  You may get lucky and I hope you do.

As far as searching a database, anything built before the 1980s computer-age is going to be extremely difficult to track down using Department of Motor Vehicle data.  Some Police Departments will run the bike's serial number to see if that particular machine has been declared stolen, but that is a long shot. 

In many ways, a title for an old motorcycle that may not exist is a historical document that has value in its own right.  Some people collect such paperwork and putting it up for sale is an option if the bike itself never surfaces.  Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Share: